Baked Chicken in Spiced Orange Juice
There is no need to peel the potatoes before cutting them into the cubes. The skins hold most of the nutrients found in potatoes. You may also substitute sweet potatoes for the white potatoes if you prefer. You can also substitute pork for the chicken or if you are looking for a vegetarian dish use seitan, a wheat product usually found with the tofu in most supermarkets.
Author: The Recipe Mom
- 1 t cumin seeds
- 1½ lbs. chicken breasts
- ½ t of salt
- ¼ t of pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 potato, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 bell pepper, cored, seed and cut into wedges
- 1 small yellow summer squash, cut into chunks
- 3 C of broccoli florets
- 6 T of wine vinegar
- 6 T of orange juice
- 1 t of oregano
- 1 t of paprika
- ½ t of allspice
- ¼ t of red pepper flakes
- Spray the lid and the inside of a cast iron Dutch oven with cooking spray.
- Allow the oven to preheat to 450 degrees.
- Spread the cumin seeds over the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Lay the chicken over the seeds and season with the salt and pepper.
- Spread the garlic over the chicken.
- Layer in order the potatoes, bell pepper, squash and broccoli over the chicken.
- Pour the vinegar into a mixing bowl.
- Add the orange juice and whisk lightly.
- Add in the oregano, paprika, allspice and pepper flakes and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken and vegetables.
- Cover the pan and bake 45 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.