Baked Barley and Red Peppers
The sweet addition of both roasted and fresh peppers along with the salty feta cheese makes for a scrumptious side dish. Serve this dish with white fish, seafood or chicken.
Author: The Recipe Mom
- ½ C of pearl barley
- 1 C vegetable broth
- 2 C feta cheese, crumbled
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ C roasted red peppers packed in oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut in strips
- 1 T of lemon juice
- 4 Portobello mushrooms, sliced thin
- 3 C of spinach, roughly chopped
- Set the oven temperature to 450 degrees and allow the oven to preheat.
- Spray the inside of a cast iron Dutch oven with a non stick cooking spray.
- Place the barley into the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the vegetable broth over the barley and spread the barley out into an even layer.
- Scatter the cheese and garlic over the barley.
- Layer the roasted peppers and the bell pepper strips into the pan.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the peppers.
- Spread the mushrooms over the top of the peppers.
- Stuff as much spinach into the pan as you can fit and still have a tight fitting lid.
- Bake 45 minutes or until the barley is tender.