Headaches are common, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t really frustrating to experience them. While there are a lot of over-the-counter pain relievers that work great for headaches, if you get them chronically like I do, you might not want to take medication constantly. A better option is to use a natural remedy such as coconut oil. Here is more information about making a headache balm with coconut oil.
Gather Your Ingredients
The first step to making the headache balm is to gather the required ingredients. For this type of DIY product, you will first need organic and raw coconut oil, making sure you don’t choose coconut oil that has preservatives or weird chemicals. Once you have that, you also want to choose some essential oils. These are up to you, but choose ones known to help with headaches, such as lavender and frankincense. Peppermint is also good for both headaches and migraines, and chamomile is good if you want it to help you sleep as well. You will also need a container for the balm and a double boiler.
Make the Headache Balm
Now that you have all the necessary ingredients for the headache balm, it is time to start preparing it. What you want to do is first get your coconut oil to melt, since it is probably in its solid form. You can do this by putting the container or a small amount of coconut oil into a glass bowl, then placing it in the top of a double boiler. You can make your own by putting a medium pot on the stove with a little water in it, then putting a bowl on top of the pot (as long as it doesn’t fall into the pot), and the coconut oil in that bowl. Let it heat up for a few minutes to melt the coconut oil. You will then remove it from the heat and add in your chosen essential oils. Mix it well and pour it into a container and let it cool. Once it is cool, you are ready to use the balm.
- ¼ cups of coconut oil
- 20 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of frankincense essential oil
- Small glass containers with lids
- Melt the coconut oil in a double boiler. Fill the bottom half of your double boiler with water and set it over medium-high heat.
- Add the top half of your double boiler and put your coconut oil in the pan. It takes a few minutes to start melting, but once you hear the water getting close to boiling, turn it down to low. Keep a close eye on it once you notice that it’s starting to melt down. It goes much faster than you think!
- While your coconut oil is melting, line up your glass containers, so they are ready to use once the coconut oil is fully melted. I use 9 half-ounce containers in total, but I am not 100% on the size since they were not marked when I bought them.
- Once your coconut oil turns to liquid, mix in all of your essential oils.
- Pour evenly into the glass containers and let them sit at room temperature to set. This usually takes about 30-40 minutes.
Using Your Headache Balm
Once you are done making the coconut oil headache balm, you will need to learn how to use it. Apply a pea-sized amount over the back of your neck. You can also apply a small amount to any area that you are feeling tension. Apply the balm to your temples and down your hairline for headaches, or if you want more tension relief, layer with one to two drops of the lavender or peppermint essential oils. It is going to soak into the skin, and that combined with the scent from the calming essential oils, it can help relieve pain as a result of the headache.